Sunday

Rustic Love

Jamie broke her ankle while crossing an uneven street in lower Manhattan. She wasn’t wearing heels, either. The street just jumped up and got her. She fell into the middle of the crosswalk and no one helped her up.

“No one helped her up.” Those words and the images they evoked wouldn’t get out of my head. Angry at all the people who had passed her by, and wanting to comfort her in some way, I offered to bring her dinner. With righteous indignation as my guide, I set out to make a comforting dish that would let her know, “you are loved.”

I made a rustic tart. Leafy green vegetables, potatoes, and cheese enveloped in a flakey crust, the tart strikes a balance between health and richness. It is perfect with a simple green salad.



Rustic Tart
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Bunch of Swiss Chard, chopped
1 Whole onion, diced
½ Bunch of broccoli rabe, chopped
2 Cloves garlic
2 Boiled eggs, diced
1 Egg, beaten
½ Cup Chicken Stock
½ Cup Feta
1 Potato cut into ½ inch cubes

Saute onion until transparent, add chard and sauté until the greens are wilted. Remove from pan. Saute garlic until it starts to turn brown and add broccoli rabe. Cook until the leaves start to wilt. In a large bowl, combine Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, diced egg, potatoes, and feta. In a smaller bowl, mix chicken stock and beaten egg, then pour over the vegetable mixture, stirring well. Pour the mixture into an uncooked pie shell, then fold the edges of the pie crust over the vegetables. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until the filling starts to bubble and the crust is golden.

4 comments:

An Hour In the Kitchen said...

Like the new look!

JJN said...

Sounds a-mazing. I love savory tarts, and it's the perfect time of year for one.

Also love the new pic!

Thanks!

Nina said...

The tart was delicious! I helped Jamie heal her broken leg by eating Ellen's food with her.

Jamie said...

This tart (and the lovely company) healed me! I'm feeling so much better! Was so delicious and it inspired me to try making a savory tart when I'm completely off the crutches.
Thanks Ellen!
xoxo
jamie