Monday

Chocolate Cure-All

I had been feeling a bit down. Not the stay-on-the-couch-all-day kind of down, but a mild funk. A funk brought on by the end of the summer? A breakup with a friend? The discovery that certain pants don’t fit the way they did last fall? A combination of all three? Who knows. I just hoped it was the type of gloominess that could be cured with a chocolate pie, a chocolate pudding pie with cream on top.

I wanted my mother’s recipe, but she was out of reach for the weekend, so I called my sister Emily. No, she did not have mom’s recipe. She had an even better one, she claimed. And that’s how I wound up making a punch-you-in-the-face-with-chocolate pie. Unlike my mother’s recipe that calls for 3 oz of chocolate, Emily’s demanded 6 oz. The result was one of dense, creamy darkness that had me clutching my stomach in defeat long before I finished the slice on my plate. It was delicious, but a powerful weapon that should only be brought out in the direst of circumstances. Did it cure my funk? Absolutely. Will I make it again? Hell yes, and then I’ll serve it to those who need some powerful healing.



6 Tbls cornstarch

1 Cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

3 Cups whole milk

6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1 baked pie shell


Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a double boiler over medium heat. Slowly whisk in milk, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to incorporate all the dry ingredients. Stir continually for 15-20 mins, and once the mixture coats the spoon, add the chocolate. Stir 2-4 mins until the pudding is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and pour into the pie shell.

3 comments:

An Hour In the Kitchen said...

ohhh, I'm trying this, maybe tonight!

JJN said...

Sounds heavenly, my dear. If I feign sadness will you bring me a slice?

xoxo

Sydney said...

Do you remember that Grandmother used to make one with eggs in it? I would see that chocolate pie and I would practically clap my hands with anticipation. After one bite, you know what would happen. I would egg-gag.