Thursday

Brussels Sprout Conversion

Brussels sprouts used to make me gag. They were bitter and mushy, and I hated the purple-brown bruised color they turned in the center. As a child, I would eat just about anything. Liver wasn’t a favorite, but I’d eat it. My father would make sandwiches of peanut butter, peaches, honey, and alfalfa sprouts. I hesitate to mention that he sometimes added cottage cheese for fear that no one would believe me, but its true, and I’d eat them. But, when it came to Brussels sprouts I remember pinching my nose shut, holding my breath, chewing a couple at a time, swallowing, and then gasping for breath before trying to wash the flavor away with a glass of milk. Oh, so, so disgusting.

In my twenties, I was re-introduced to Brussels sprouts by my friend Rick who doesn’t really like food. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him sit down and eat a whole meal. He’s more of a grazer-- A little salad here, some almonds there, a handful of cheerios occasionally. So imagine my surprise when I walked into his apartment and he announced he was cooking Brussels sprouts for dinner. First, he doesn’t cook. Second, Brussels sprouts and only Brussels sprouts? I might actually have made a face, but he was excited-- went on and on about how he loves Brussels sprouts and how delicious they are and how easy they are to cook. I gathered my strength and sat down to eat Brussels sprouts for the first time in over 15 years. They weren’t bad. I wouldn’t go so far as to say they were good, but they were definitely edible, and that qualified as a miracle in my book. Rick had steamed them but they weren’t bitter and mushy. Some of them were still bruised purple in the center, but I didn’t eat those. Most importantly, he had sprinkled them with lemon pepper which added a sweet, salty tartness that elevated the sprouts from lumps of green obligation to surprising bites of spice and zest.

Since then, slowly at first, I’ve started cooking brussel sprouts myself. My favorite method is to roast them. I slice them in half, toss them with cubed apples and onions in some olive oil until they are well coated, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, add a squeeze of lemon, and roast them on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees until the edges of the outer leaves start to turn brown and crispy. Sometimes I crumble bacon over them. This recipe turns the Brussels sprouts into a dish that has people asking for seconds, leaving no leftovers, and clamoring for the recipe. I’ve even heard someone proclaiming with genuine surprise, “That was actually good.” Another convert. Thanks Rick.

3 comments:

tiffany said...

I love me some Brussels sprouts...was introduced to them later in life, which I think is key! Recently made some with a bit of vanilla and roasted pecans...was rather tasty. Ellen, I love the way you weave stories into your cooking tips/recipes. Great fun! Tiffany

An Hour In the Kitchen said...

Good read! Who knew that you were a new Brussel sprout enthusiast?

Kate T.W. said...

Delicious! I tried your recipe and absolutely adored them. Thanks!